3 April 2014

Can You Be Too Comfortable with your Husband?



The short answer, yes. But before you go ahead and click off of this post you should know that I'm not talking about the kind of comfort that lets silence fall easy and quiet over your morning coffee. Im not talking about comfort that reaches across sheets in the dark. That is a good and beautiful kind of comfort.

Im talking about the comfort that allows snide remarks to go unchecked, unforgiven. The kind that allows you to respond when silence is the better way. The kind that seeks self and not continual, sacrificial unity. 

You can be too comfortable. Though we haven't had many years, I have learned this. This is our battle as wives. Against this type of comfort. And as the years wear on I have found it increasingly harder to wage this war.

The truth is that I know I'm safe with my husband. I know that no matter what I say or do, he has pledged himself to me. His love for me is strong and true. But there is a difference between knowing I could say anything without making his love for me waver, and actually saying it. 




Friends, lets not allow ourselves to go to that place of comfort. Don't allow the wear of years and days and the monotony of it all to spill over into your words and actions. 


Ann Voskamp writes; "The exultation of monotony crowns the brave hearts, eyes that perpetually, perennially, look long to make the familiar new." 


This too is the cry of my heart. Making the familiar new. To treat my husband with both a mix of the same awe I had of him on our wedding day, and the comfort of the coffee and the sheets. It isn't what he deserves, we, none of us deserve anything. But it is my offering, my sacrifice, my calling. 

Will you join me in the battle to win our husbands affections daily? Again and again without relenting? I can't promise it will be easy, but it is oh so worth it. 

16 comments:

  1. I have tears in my eyes (and the walking dead in the background....so you better believe I found this powerful)...i love reading mamas hearts but loving my husband is where im at these days and i just love being reminded of this!!!at first i thought you were gonna say dont wear comfy frumpy clothes all the time....(oops!!!guilty!)...but that is something too...i love that kind of comfortable too!!thanks for this beautiful reminder!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this today, perfect timing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I want to be a Proverbs 31 Woman. Thank you so much for sharing this today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Colette! So glad it resonated with you! Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. :) I needed it too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw Er! Glad you liked it! I'm fairly certain you are an awesome wife! haha and no way am I gonna preach against the sweats! haha... well... maybe sometimes! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Ileana! I needed the reminder too! ugh, I need it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for reading Ray! Im sure you are an amazing wife and mama!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for reading Emily! Happy to make you squirm! ;) haha

    ReplyDelete
  10. Janel Costa MatosApril 03, 2014 11:53 pm

    such a great reminder. As much as I want my husband to continually persue and romance me, he needs it from me too. Thanks for writing this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was just talking about this with my husband the other day- letting my poor attitude or irritation carry on with no desire for repentance because I know his commitment to me will not waver. I need this. I need to remember this kind of comfort should not be sought after in marriage. . . but the others- yes :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Isn't it so sneaky how we can let our poor attitudes spill over into our most important relationships because of the security we feel in them! I need this reminder again and again!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes! It can be so easy to let down my guard and take him for granted because he's there. he's committed. and I know he (has to) love me anyway :) Thank you for the encouragement to pursue the better way!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful message! I was honestly expecting something along the lines of shutting the bathroom door. Thank you for suprising me with this thoughtful post. Happy sits day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy SITS!! And, I love that picture!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, visiting you via the SITS girls. Great post, found it so inspirational that I repinned it to my inspiration and encouragment board on Pinterest. Wish you the best in everything. God bless!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. I always respond but tend to reply to your comment rather than email. I hope you'll check back for my response!

UA-45077507-1