25 March 2014

Morning Glory Muffins // Toddler Approved!



// We are waiting with baited breath for a big storm here... ugh, its supposed to be Spring already! So of course im doing all of the things we do in these parts to get ready for a blizzard. Filling the tub with water, getting the candles out, making sure the cupboards are stocked and charging all phones... 

// So along with some of my other prep I decided it would be a good idea to make some hearty muffins. I instantly thought of these Morning Glory Muffins. I used to work at a local coffee shop. I often worked the early shift, 5:30 am, which meant that at the end of the day I prepped for the next day. One of things we had to prep were these muffins, so I learned the recipe by heart. These little babies were a favourite and would sell out by 8am. 

// I decided to change the recipe a bit to make it a bit more toddler/baby friendly by omitting some of the sugar, I could probably even do more next time but I hadn't made them in so long that I wanted to be sure they would turn out. 

// These were gobbled up by all three members of my little fam in a heartbeat! Hope you like them! 

2 cups all-purpose flour 
(I used 1/2 cup white, 1/2 cup whole wheat)
3/4 cup white sugar 
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt 
2 cups shredded carrot 
1 apple, peeled cored and shredded
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts 
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/3 cup crushed pineapple
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

((Phew... I know the ingredient list is pretty lengthy but trust me... its worth it!))



Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). 
Grease 12 muffin cups, or line with paper muffin liners

In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Stir in the carrot, raisins, nuts, coconut, and apple.

In a separate bowl, beat together eggs, oil, applesauce pineapple and vanilla. Stir egg mixture into the carrot/flour mixture, just until moistened. Scoop batter into prepared muffin cups.

Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.

// And thats it! I filled them quite full and they turned out great! //
Im not gonna lie, Hazel may have had just one of these and a smoothie for lunch and she was quite full!


9 comments:

  1. Those are now on my baking list. Thanks for sharing!! =D http://likeamorningcupofcoffee.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow those look good! I love carrot cake so I think your muffins would be a big hit with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We ate Morning Glory muffins as kids! Loved them! They were so packed full of goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tiffany HuebnerMarch 27, 2014 1:11 am

    Oh my goodness these look fantastic! We make a lot of muffins around our house. My daughter loves them! Found you at the Blogger's Digest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pinned! :) Love muffins full of good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hannah TerpstraMarch 31, 2014 1:55 pm

    Thanks for the pin! I love these little babies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hannah TerpstraMarch 31, 2014 1:55 pm

    Thanks for popping over Tiffany! Hope you make these and love them! They are a hit around here :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hannah TerpstraMarch 31, 2014 1:56 pm

    They definitely would be! They are very much like carrot cake!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmm! These sound great. My toddler's a bread lover, which means she's muffin crazy too. We'd all enjoy these. Thanks for sharing your recipe, Hannah!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. I always respond but tend to reply to your comment rather than email. I hope you'll check back for my response!

UA-45077507-1