7 March 2014

Life Is Too Short // Love Each Other



// This past weekend we were incredibly blessed to spend at a retreat with some of our closest friends (18 of them!) A very special and amazing older couple opened their home to all of us to meet and be together as well as to watch a teaching series called "Dream to Destiny" all about the life of Joseph and the character building that happens before you fulfill the plans that God has for you. It was really significant for Bob and I being that we are stepping into a new role very soon.

// On returning home from the weekend away we discovered that a friend who had been battling breast cancer for the past year had passed away. A young mother. We grew our babes at the same time, shared the bond of pregnancy, her son was born two months before Hazel.

// As I sat at her funeral this morning her 18 month old son cried out for his mama from the front row. Grief was like a wave over those gathered and our hearts broke in unison for this precious babe, never to really know his mama.

// Later Bob said "Do you think people truly know each other, do you think its possible for many people to truly know a person?" Again my thoughts were brought back to community, and the fellowship shared over the weekend. Friends, I believe we must be known by one another. We must let others in to our lives, into our hearts. Life is far too short to keep to ourselves.

// As time goes on im beginning to sense more and more that we were created for community. We were created to struggle and rejoice together. I am the first to admit that I just plain am rotten at this. In this season of birthing and raising babies its so hard to see outside of myself and my own family unit. Its hard to focus on something other than 'being a good mom' or even just outside of the laundry and dishes and demands of my home.

// But I'm beginning to learn a secret, that if I want to be the type of mother and person that I desire to be, the one I see in my minds eye, than I need community. If I am not being known by and knowing others I'm not shaping and moulding my character... which I'm pretty sure is what makes a good mom, not books. Though I love me some good parenting books.

// So, im challenging myself. To open up my home and my heart to my community, those who we find ourselves surrounded by. To be transparent and vulnerable and known.
It's also a challenge in the online community as well. I love the community building of the Mom-Lovin blog hop. The women I have started to "know" here in this little world. And I'm challenging myself to expand further, to let more in, to seek friendships and be intentional.

"Always be humble and gentle. Be patient with each other, making allowance for each other's faults because of your love. Make every effort to keep yourselves united in the Spirit, binding yourselves together with peace" Eph 4:2-3


// What are your thoughts? Do you struggle with being in community with others?// 
Lets talk about it! 

5 comments:

  1. I am so sorry about your friend. Stories like that break my heart. I agree with you...I'm not even close to the same person I was a few years ago. I used to be very private and closed-off, until I (met Justin) and realized that being vulnerable and honest is a strength. People need to know real, and honest, and have the opportunity to pour into one another's lives. Beautiful words, Hannah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also-I shared this on facebook! Hope that's okay. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hannah TerpstraMarch 12, 2014 3:46 pm

    Thanks Angela! It is definitely more intimidating for me more these days and I would much rather stay home and watch a movie or read a book but it definitely is essential! I think its also important to have people in our homes as I think it really helps break down barriers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hannah TerpstraMarch 12, 2014 3:47 pm

    Thanks Kelly. Definitely learning to appreciate the time here that I have and make the most of it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hannah TerpstraMarch 12, 2014 3:49 pm

    Thank you Andrea. Its awesome that you have been challenged to be more honest and open in the last few years. It really is a strength! My mom was really really private growing up and I can see how it affected our relationship, and I want to be much more open with Hazel! And yes, totally ok to share! thank you! Im pretty shy about sharing my blog on my own facebook with people I know but am happy for strangers to read it! HA! im a weirdo!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. I always respond but tend to reply to your comment rather than email. I hope you'll check back for my response!

UA-45077507-1