28 January 2014

Top 5 ((At Home)) Pregnancy Workouts



Confession time...
I have been slacking majorly in the fitness department these first few weeks, ahem months, being pregnant. 
With the weather outside being cold, windy and icy, I haven't made too many ventures into the great outdoors, which is usually how I get most of my fitness in. 
We only have one car which also makes it pretty hard to get to the gym, so I have been scouring the interwebs for the best prenatal workouts you can do at home! 
Here's what I came up with! 

ONE - 'BUN IN THE OVEN' FULL WORKOUT


Sure, she's got a ball under her shirt and isn't really pregnant, but this is a seriously great workout. Its the best free, full body workout that I have found. She has great energy and is pretty engaging. This workout takes about 30 minutes to complete which is great and uses minimal equipment that you are sure to have around the house. 

TWO - PRENATAL PILATES


This is the best series for Prenatal Pilates that I have found. There are 4, ten minute sets focusing on different areas. You can do them all for a 40 minute workout or you can mix and match focusing on different areas each day. 
Prenatal Pilates has to be one of the absolute best workouts you can do to strengthen your pelvic floor muscles during pregnancy and after pregnancy too. A strong pelvic floor will go a LONG way in your labour and delivery experience, and can really increase the effectiveness of your pushing! I have a good friend who is a pilates instructor. I also had the privilege to be her Doula and to this day have never seen anyone push their first baby out so fast. So bottom line, do some pilates!
PART 2 | PART 3 | PART 4

THREE - DIARY OF A FIT MOMMY


This is a great blog for all things fitness. She has some really great at home workout routines. This one is specifically tailored to pregnant moms. You can do everything at home with minimal equipment and minimal space. The only reason I don't absolutely love it is because its not a video. I like to have motivation during my workouts rather than just a routine to follow. But a great workout if you are looking for some different moves. 

FOUR - HIP AND BACK STRETCH YOGA


This Yoga Stretching series from FitSugar is amazing for helping to stretch out your lower back and hips. Both areas can become really tight and tense during pregnancy and it is so important to keep them open and loose. This pregnancy I have already been experiencing quite a bit of back pain and this yoga sequence has helped with that a lot already. The full stretching series should take about 10 minutes to complete. You can use it as a cool down or warm up to any workout.

FIVE - BABY GOT BACK 



These moves from Celebrity Personal Trainer Tracy Anderson are all about toning your butt! Even though this isn't a total body workout I decided to include this in here after doing these moves. You can really feel them in your bum, thighs and hip flexors as well as your abs. Good stuff. She does have a whole workout video called The Pregnancy Project, buuut I'm all about the free stuff!


Hope you enjoyed these pregnancy workouts! 
I would love for you to share any others you have.

Here's to a happy and healthy pregnancy!



8 comments:

  1. I loved pilates and swimming when I was pregnant! Both exercises helped with the added stress and weight on my back. My doctor also encouraged me to continue lifting weights throughout my pregnancies. Thanks for the workouts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this. I've had miscarriages but we are TTC once again. Hoping that I will need these exercises real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh thanks for sharing this! Have you heard of Beautiful Belly yoga on Daily Burn? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope so too Katie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I absolutely love swimming too! Im hoping to get out swimming every Friday morning when my husband is home to watch my other babe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by Emily! I haven't heard of the Beautiful Belly Yoga but I will DEFINITELY be checking it out!! Thanks for the tip!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is great Hannah! Have you heard of T25? I've been doing that with this pregnancy and it has actually been working really well! I do the mainstream moves when I can and opt for the modified versions when I don't have the energy or the nerve to do the "real" one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for sharing this! I will definitely keep this in mind when my time comes again! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. I always respond but tend to reply to your comment rather than email. I hope you'll check back for my response!

UA-45077507-1