31 January 2014

Sometimes you're up....


It's true what they say,

"sometimes you're up, sometimes you're down"

I've never known this to be more true in my life than in parenting. Some days I wake up feeling rested and ready to face the day. I make my plan of attack, bang out the dishes or empty out the dishwasher, make breakfast from scratch, do 3 loads of laundry and have supper planned out by noon. I play endlessly with Hazel and have all of the patience of a seasoned mother taking everything in stride.
Other days it seems I can't seem to get out of my own way. Dishes, laundry and tidying up are interrupted by anything and everything every 2 minutes, naps don't go well, someone drops over unexpectedly and I'm still in my pyjamas, Hazel has a dirty face from lunch and I'm making excuses about my train wreck of a house. 5 o'clock rolls around and I have no clue what I'm going to feed anyone for supper.



I think I may have at one time long ago wanted to tell you that these days don't exist in my world. That everything is fine and always up up up. But as I have grown and taken hold of my role as a mother I have realized that these down days sharpen me. They have made me a better parent. Challenged me.
These days aren't pretty. They involve crying, losing patience and perhaps the odd begging my husband to come home early. Blessedly, they don't come often, but when they do my desire is to learn from them. To reflect on what I could have done differently and try to change my knee-jerk reactions and become more gracious. More kind. The kind of mother and wife I know I am on the inside. 

So lets unite on our down days. Let's encourage each other and grow and learn and be transformed. Let's sharpen and equip each other but lets also make allowances for each other. When you see that mama with the baby who may not be perfectly behaved that day, when you see the mama who looks a bit disheveled. Give her grace, ok? 

Because you know what? Sometimes you're up, and sometimes you're down. 

21 comments:

  1. Melinda~Marshmallow MudpieJanuary 31, 2014 3:29 pm

    So true. I have these days too. I always feel guilty when I plan to be supermom the next day, and then run late in the morning, feel crabby, and wait too long to get dinner started so I have to ask the Hubby to pick up take out. I'm sure he thinks, "what was she doing all day?" Some days it's just hard to get everything done and maintain super-mommy-mentality. We're all human. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an amazing mother! I wish we lived close by so I could come over and Ben and Hazel could play together. :) I love the words, "Can't get out of my own way," I feel like that often. Like I am really my biggest roadblock. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelli K (Pretty Prairie)January 31, 2014 11:10 pm

    Ah, so true! There are days that can be so challenging - and I've gotten my husband to come home early (I'm lucky he has the flexibility). Your right that we should use these times to learn from and darn right we should support each other because you know everyone has had those days (and probably more than they care to admit!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true! I just had one of those days last week, more tears from me than my son that day for sure. I am definitely learning from those days and so appreciate the easy days :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, Hannah. I've never related so well to somebody elses blog post. It's so odd being able to read somebody elses words, and thinking... Has she been spying on me?
    It's so encouraging to know other mommas go through this too. On the days it's particularly harder to get out of bed, I'll try to remember this and feel normal instead of like a complete failure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen friend! Yes, story of our life around here these days. It's so encouraging to hear that us mama's are not alone in this. Right here with you friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Melinda, glad I'm not the only one! Im sure my husband has thought that of me a time or two as well, but thankfully he is pretty gracious, as im sure yours understands too! Its totally hard to do everything. I have definitely come to accept that some days im going to be awesome and some days are just going to be 'unproductive' As long as I learn from them and try not to loose my patience in those days I think Im doing good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah man, I SO wish that we lived closer and could hang out! That would be so much fun! I would just support the crap of of you on your down days! haha! I am definitely my own biggest road block too and sometimes I have to admit that I don't make the best time management choices, but Im learning!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for stopping by Chelsea, glad im not the only one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Kelli, I definitely think everyone has these days and we should be more honest about admitting it too :) Im lucky that my husband also is pretty flexible so is able to come home if I really truly need him!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh man, so true that it makes you appreciate the easy days! phew! On a day everything goes right I just feel like a million bucks! I guess it wouldn't be as good if I didn't have the down days every one in a while! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shayla!! Thats one of the sweetest comments I have ever gotten! But I have been spying on you... haha just kidding! But seriously its so good to know that there are other people out there who feel the same way! You are absolutely NOT a complete failure, even on those days, you are an awesome mama and wife I am sure of it! I think us mamas definitely have to give ourselves grace too, its tough stuff and really no one is teaching us how to do it all. We are just figuring it all out and some days its awesome and some days not so awesome... learn and grow and tomorrow is another day my friend!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aw man isnt it so good to hear that you are not alone on those crazy days!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Right on sister! This post could have come right from my finger tips. Thankfully, those days are few & far between, but when they hit, they hit. I feel as if I can't keep anything together. Thanks for sharing your heart today, sweet girl!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely LOVE this, Hannah. Beautiful. I couldn't agree more with every thing you said. ~jenna

    ReplyDelete
  16. So very true! We definitely all need a measure of grace in this mom thing. Some days are harder than others!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely picture :)

    Catherine Vargas
    Vintage Girls
    www.vindiebaby.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very true, let's be gracious to all mommies. You don't know their story.

    ReplyDelete
  19. As the parent to 3 teens and one 20 year old I can still say I have days where I feel like everything is under control, and days that are crazy daisy from the time I get up. I miss those days of when my kids were little. I didn't have a sparkling clean house--still don't--but I've learned to not sweat or react to the small stuff. I didn't learn it overnight--it's a process. The media makes the comparison worse (thanks Martha!:)) I think the bigger picture is: Do my children and husband know they're loved? Have I done my best in those moments where I've been less than perfect, and accepted the imperfection? I encourage everyone to go easy on themselves. We as women set ourselves up for being Supermom and absolute perfection--which only leads to crankiness, feeling overwhelmed and stressed, and being preoccupied with being less than. Great post--and I'm so glad you're "real" about what you're feeling. You're a role model for women who admit their lives can be messy sometimes. Welcome to real living--in all it's messy, imperfect gloriousness!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. I always respond but tend to reply to your comment rather than email. I hope you'll check back for my response!

UA-45077507-1