13 December 2013

Blogging for reals...


Guys. I love blogging. 
Its weird. Its not something I ever thought I would love. 
Im not talking about the writing. I always loved the writing.
But I'm talking about the "world" of blogging.
The 'blogosphere' 

Before I 'got into' blogging I thought the whole thing was crazy. 
The linking, the sidebar, the coding, the post graphics, the sponsorships ((yeah ok I still think thats kinda weird, but I get it though too ya know? Read my thoughts about sponsorship here))
But now that I have 'entered in', so to speak, I have really really come to love this weird and wonderful world. 
Sure, my husband still doesn't 'get' why I have to have certain posts up at certain times. He doesn't understand that I now have friends all over the world who I know lots about but have never met!
But I love it. I think its amazing. 

With that being said. Here is a little list of my most loved, aka why I do this thing, reasons for blogging along with some things I find funny/weird/ridiculous about blogging.

I LOVE all of the amazing people I have met and the amazing way that blogging connects us. I love feeling like I have a cup of coffee with you all every morning. I feel that I know you, that I am watching your children grow up. And to me that is beautiful and strange and altogether wonderful. 

I DO NOT love the pressure to post constantly. I love writing when I love writing. If you like me and like what I have to say. You'll come back. I got super caught up in the followers and page views for a while there and it made me feel like I had to constantly post to grow this little blog here. If that is your goal and passion, I think that is truly amazing and I will be here cheering you on. I have lots of wonderful blog friends who aim to monetize their blog, I hope to support them in the ways I can. But me, my first priority is my home, my husband and my babies. Sometimes this may afford me the time and creativity to post 5 times a week, sometimes 2. And that. is. ok. 

I LOVE being pushed and challenged to better my writing. I have always loved keeping a journal, but I also LOVE having a real audience. It challenges my creativity and keeps my grammar and vocabulary (I hope) somewhat fresh.

I DO NOT love the blogosphere fetish with the "word" 'ya'll'. Seriously, what is up with this? Is this just an American thing that I don't get? The way I see it is... if you are from the south, have previously lived in the south or your mother is Southern, then maybe you can get away with it. But if you aren't... I think you know that you're probably not pulling it off. Heck, I did it once. I even hit publish on my 'ya'll', so its out there in some post, just being a blatant imposter! 
My advice? Find your own thing. Get your own little words and catch phrases. You're readers will love it and you will feel more authentic. Ok ya'll? ..... just kidding....

I LOVE being used for God's glory through this blog. This little bloggity started out as solely a craft blog; I wanted a place to post my projects. Since then, it has morphed into more of a lifestyle blog and some would say "mommy blog". Whatever niche you fit me into, my main focus these days is in little ways, in big ways, in whatever ways He gives me, I want to honour and glorify the One who I truly live for. Maybe thats through my posts but more often I hope it will just be through my life and through my love. 

I DO NOT love social media trollers. I don't really know what to call them but you know what I'm talkin about. The bloggers who come to the link up party, don't read the rules, and link like 5 unrelated and weird posts. When you actually go to their site there isn't a whole lot of substance going on. I just feel like these peeps are out to become "big name" bloggers and aren't wanting to make real connections with anyone. Which in my humble opinion, is I think how big name bloggers get there, the content and their connection with the reader.... 

I LOVE reflecting on my life. Capturing and preserving those precious memories of me as a new mother, of Hazel as a baby, of the ways my husband loves me, of our tiny little seemingly mundane life. Writing this blog helps me to focus, to immortalize some of those little and big moments in our life. I know that in years to come having this blog will be a blessing to look back on. 

I LOVE community. I know I already mentioned this above. But really and truly the Lord is getting me fired up about community, both 'real' world and online world. I really hope and pray that this blog can generate a community of people, whether moms or not moms, to support each other and build each other up. I have some ideas brewing about how to do this even more! 

There you have it!! A whole blog post with no pictures! Don't hate ok? 
I hope that you enjoyed it, maybe some of this resonates with you? 

23 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the social media trollers. I co-hosted a blog hop a few weeks back that required following the co-hosts. Out of the 75+ people that linked up? THREE. Three followers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No pictures but I read your whole post! :) I actually wish I was from the south just so I had an excuse to say y'all? But since never once have I ever lived in the south I only say it in my head! And here are my thoughts on linkups: I love linkups where there are prompts and you are encouraged to visit everyone's blogs and find new ones and comment. I do find it annoying that the majority of people that linkup just linkup and run and don't comment or even comment back on your blog when you have taken the time to read their post and comment. But I also won't link up anymore to linkups that require you to follow the cohost (following the host is a different story, you should do that) but you might want to participate in the linkup but not follow a cohost, does that make sense? If I was a cohost, I would only want peor to follow my blog that actually want to, not just because they are following the linkup rule. It would be different if a comment was required on the cohost's blog, but if the number of blogs I follow on bloglovin gets too big, I just stop looking at my bloglovin app altogether (I literally started from scratch when I did my rebrand). Those are just my thoughts! I do love this post, and I too hope to honor The Lord in my writing as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hannah, I so totally agree with everything you wrote - even down to the fact that I think I too posted one lonely little ya'll back somewhere way back when without really thinking about how ridiculous it was .. especially for an Australian.. until it was too late!

    Blogging can be a wonderful thing when we take the pressure off ourselves! X

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great! Agree with you on a lot!! I didn't know what expect when I started my blog, I must say the community is one of my favorite too. I have a ton of posts without pictures it happens :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm loving this post! I agree with you on all of it! It's amazing and sometimes frustrating. The trolls are the worst!

    ReplyDelete
  6. AH Kelly I know!!!!! I have so been there. haha Im all about the small hops! :) I find that you'll get a lot more hopping around.

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha Eva I sometimes wish I could pull off the ya'll too. I think it sounds so cute and quaint and makes you feel like a friend. haha! I definitely don't like the link and run! I also totally get the cohost following thing too. As a hop "hoster" I know its a lot to ask someone to follow 4 people but I also like saying they can follow however they want, since we have 6 ways to link up maybe pintrest would be the choice... it often is for me. I get the cluttering up the bloglovin feed too, but if I can tell you a little secret... bloglovin now has groups, so you can organize different blogs into different groups.... its really kinda awesome. I have a group for my "daily reads", one I call "Joyful Community" so people that Im connected with, one for "Inspiring blogs" and one for all of those other people that you randomly follow but don't really want to see all of their posts....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I absolutely agree about the pressure thing! I totally think we put too much pressure on ourselves, when its gone I think you become a better blogger.... well at least for some personality types :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Ileana! haha I totally had to resist the urge to make up a quick picture for this or to just insert some random, but I thought, hey, there really is no need! So glad to have met you through this weird world :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. haha Thanks Savanna! Boo to the trolls!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a great post (even without pictures!). I know what you mean about having your writing be something important for your family in the future...something to look back on. I feel the same way with my family blog, and my art one is written for the love of it. For the love of sharing information and discovering new artists and just writing to hear myself talk (that's weird right?) Have a great day! Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed reading this post from beginning to end. Thank you for reminding me why I love blogging so much, too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't lie. I did check to see how much a flight cost to PEI. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Sarah! haha definitely not weird to hear yourself talk! I think there is something cathartic and valuable in that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aw thank you so much for the sweet comment Jenny! Ha, sometimes I can get so caught up in this whole thing and then get weary of creating new posts and I think, why am I even doing this!! Glad I can have this post to look back on too :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah I would love love love that.... but pricy right? But it would be so amazing and you would just love it here and I could totally hook you up with a place to stay and things to do and even food!!! seriously!! Its an amazing place for families to visit, once in a lifetime experience!! convinced yet??? I may or may not start emailing you PEI tourism videos...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just getting to have a cup of tea with you would be enough to bring me over! :) Yes, I think someday this trip must happen!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes to all of this Hannah!! I completely agree! I started my blog as nothing more than an online journal for myself and our families and friends. I absolutely LOVE the new community and new friends it's brought me, and that's why I keep doing it. And I have to say that the mom-lovin hop has been a huge part of that! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I loved this post! Thank you so much for sharing these thoughts with us. I appreciate that you resonated with me in sooo many ways. Thank you for the reminder to get back to basics - no frills or thrills, this is just us growing as women, as mothers, as blogging-friends, as community.


    Lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you Nancy! I am so so glad to have met you through this blogging world! If you ever make it to the east coast I would love to show you around!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks you Jenna! Beautifully said! I am so glad I didn't get to far in my blogging journey before realizing that the big blog thing wasnt for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I would LOVE that! My brother and his family actually live in the Halifax area and I have some other friends in PEI, so it's not totally out of the question, just so stinkin expensive to get there! I've actually been to your beautiful province once and would absolutely love to visit again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Aw Nancy that would be amazing!! I would seriously love that! PEI is awesome but yes I hate how much it costs for us to just get across our own dang country! Seriously, im not kidding, I probably know your friends who live in PEI! haha

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. I always respond but tend to reply to your comment rather than email. I hope you'll check back for my response!

UA-45077507-1