8 October 2013

Thrifty Mama





Are you a thrift shopper? I love to get a deal, and it's a good thing I married a Dutch man... Cause that man loves his deals too. Back in high school I used to exclusively thrift shop. All of my clothes were from Value Village ((VV as I like to call it)) and I even worked there for a brief stint.

As I've gotten older I've seen the wisdom in buying, sometimes pricier, but fewer clothing items, that last a bit longer are are a bit more 'classic'. I'm no fashion maven, but I do like to be 'in style' while still keeping true to my own style which I *think I've mostly figured out.

Of course I often wish that I had loads of money to go on a big shopping spree ((which I would mostly do online considering the pitiful selection on this tiny Island)). But for the most part I'm happy with my comfortable, maybe a bit earthy hippie, beachy, semi-hip, style. Ya know, if that was a real style.

But that doesn't stop me from still hitting up ol faithful VV for other items! No sir! While I would love to be able to buy Hazel all natural wooden toys ((and I tried at the beginning)) it doesn't seem to be in our budget these days. Case in point, the car/walker pictured above $4. The wooden one I wanted... $40... Um sorry Haze... BPA's it is.... ((Jk... But really? I hope not!))

My other scores from the trip were a Fisher Price pop up toy ((which Hazel has discovered she can make the things pop up by throwing it on the floor...)) a crocheted blanket ((which you'll soon see featured in our outdoor family photos)) a copy of Emma ((one of my fave books, I couldn't pass up this copy... You know, cause I don't already have two...)) and my exception to the rule, this beautiful camel coloured jacket which I tried on and fell in love with! ((I actually didn't have any more cash with me so I made Bob go back and get this... He had to search for a while but found it by my very vague description, sweet man!!))

What about you? Do you like to thrift shop? 

What's your best find lately?

xo Hannah 

2 comments:

  1. Family photos!?! Eeek. Excited for that! :) I'm a terrible thrift shopper...I end up getting discouraged so quickly. I've heard you really have to visit frequently to know what is a good deal/what isn't and know what new items have come in. My sister-in-law is amazing...she finds the best things! I need some lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a good bargain too! I hate excessive spending even if we can afford it. So much so that my husband calls me tight. I don't really care because I believe in value for money and everything in moderation. My latest best find was a $1 t-shirt for my lil girl.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. I always respond but tend to reply to your comment rather than email. I hope you'll check back for my response!

UA-45077507-1