21 October 2013

Happy Home Maker: Aanie's Home Tour


Have you ever wanted to take a peek into someone elses home? I love seeing how others have made their happy little homes, don't you?

Welcome to 'Happy Home Maker'
A weekly series which will feature some of my favourite bloggy mamas and friends.
I hope you will join us every Monday to be inspired! 

Here is Aanie's Happy Home...



Hi, I'm Aanie from The Active Mum and I live just outside Sydney, Australia. Hannah asked me to share a post for her new series the 'Happy Home Maker' and I am very humbled to be here, sharing our home with you today.

I guess the secret to a happy home is made up of a number of things, but if I had to pick just one I would say it is always being thankful for the many blessings we have in life. I find being thankful helps me keep things in perspective, and it allows me to find contentment even when days are busy, housework is unfinished or projects lay uncompleted.

When it comes to decorating, if I had to label my style, I would probably call it country coastal. I just asked my husband (who is design savvy) what he would call my 'interior design style' and his reply was 'annoying'. I should have known better than to ask. I asked him to elaborate and he said 'You take all the bits you like from coastal, modern, shabby-chiq, hamptons-style and the french provincial look, mix it together and can't make up your mind'. He is probably right..

So, with that in mind, welcome to our master bedroom (pictured above). For this room I wanted a lot of black and white, with a splash of romance. My inspiration for this room was an old photograph I had seen, it was simply a black and white room with a vase of red roses. It was ever so romantic and I did my best to recreate that feel. It's a little unfinished - we have a beautiful white antiqued desk (thanks to hubby for antiquing it) that I am still waiting on some handles for (I ordered them months ago) - but I love our room nonetheless.

In our lounge room we have been extremely blessed to be given some beautiful furniture over the last few years. The lovely big lounges give it a very elegant feel and I absolutely love just relaxing on the lounge underneath my garden window and enjoying the view. We have dreams of more white antiqued furniture for this room too..


Our kitchen has black countertops, white cupboards and a dark turquoise glass splashback. I wouldn't have chosen this combination or the turquoise myself, but it was brand new when we moved in, and is also very good quality (and I certainly don't like to be wasteful), so I had to make it work. I simply continued on the black and white theme and accessorised the green where I could (I guess this is where the modern look comes in).


To decorate both my children's room, I took inspiration from quilts I made them when they were babies. Mr 4's was navy and red, and as he grew it became obvious how much he loved cars, trucks and all things transport, so I ran with that theme when decorating..


Miss 2's quilt is chocolate brown and dusky pink, and her theme is butterflies..


We have a long list of projects (both big and small) that we'd like to do inside and outside our home, but over the last year I've learned to be patient and simply tackle them one at a time.

A big thank you to Hannah for letting me share with you today. For those of you that haven't visited The Active Mum, it is simply a blog about our lives, mixed in with a little bit of motivation for staying active and raising children that (hopefully) come to appreciate and enjoy the outdoors and physical activity. If you've enjoyed my post today, I'd love you to come on over to The Active Mum where you can follow along by which ever type of media you prefer!

9 comments:

  1. Anna @ Your Healthy PlaceOctober 21, 2013 1:12 pm

    Love the photo wall, the flowers and the soft pink and white tones throughout - so peaceful and calming! (Found you through Mom's Monday Mingle link party)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your home and philosophies Aanie! And love this idea Hannah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this series Hannah! I'm always inspired by other people and their homes. And thank you for sharing Aanie! Your home and personality is beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks again for featuring me Hannah!! X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hannah @ Joyful LifeOctober 21, 2013 7:07 pm

    It was my pleasure Aanie! Your home is just lovely! Thank you so much for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hannah @ Joyful LifeOctober 21, 2013 7:07 pm

    Im so excited to share this series!! I love it too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hannah @ Joyful LifeOctober 21, 2013 7:08 pm

    Thanks for stopping by Anna!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great series, Hannah! I love going through open houses just because. :) Love the children's bedrooms!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. I always respond but tend to reply to your comment rather than email. I hope you'll check back for my response!

UA-45077507-1