4 September 2013

To Heck With You Parenting Style!!!

 

You know it's the talk of the playground, the moms whipser and gossip about "so and so's parenting style". They say "oh, well that baby doesn't sleep through the night, or that baby is still nursing at 2 years old, or that mom stopped nursing at one year ((gasp)) and its probably because of their ((insert here)) parenting style"

Well friends.. I say to heck with parenting 'styles', why does what I'm doing and what you're doing ((which bottom line is raising our sweet babes the best way we can figure out)) have to be defined and analyzed and put in a box with a nice label on it saying its "X" style of parenting?

 

I was recently invited to a Facebook group for "Natural Parenting" I didn't think much of it until I read in the about section what it was all about. They weren't necessarily saying "we are doing this whole parenting thing better than you" but the way things were worded really made me feel that if I wasn't doing the things they described as "Natural Parenting" that as a result any other parenting style was therefore "Unnatural"

I thought, why do these people get to say what's 'natural' and what is not? What if I'm just doing what comes 'naturally' to me? And what if that's different for me than it is for you? Is that ok? Or am I going to be judged about the disrespect I'm surely showing my child by not following the natural parenting way?

 

Mamas, why can't we just respect each other? Why can't we encourage and praise rather than admonish and scorn? Why can't we applaud the mother who shares her bed with her child and nurses them through their toddler years, and with those same hands applaud the mother who chooses to walk the forbidden Cry It Out road, who implements routine or schedules.

I'm throwing off the yolk of any certain "parenting style" and creating one that's just my own, because I'm raising my child. I'm the one who will have to deal with my successes and failures as a parent. I will have many of both.

(( I have many friends who chose to parent in all different ways and I dearly love and respect them all; from 'Natural' to 'Babywise', you're doing a great job mama!))

What do you think? Do you have certain parenting style? Do you think it's helpful to categorize these styles?


 

 

 

 

9 comments:

  1. I hate "parenting styles" and the drama that comes with having a certain one verses another. I am me, I parent the way I know how and the way that works best for me and my family, end of story.

    These women who get all higher than thou because they do things 'better' just drive me batty!

    I am featuring this post on my Good Reads on the Internet this Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Felicia! I really appreciate that!

      Delete
  2. I hear ya. What works for one family isn't going to work for another. As long as your baby is thriving than whats the harm?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I love this. Thank you.
    I definitely don't think I fit into any one parenting box. I've pulled things from here and there until I've found what works best for my baby and our family and I have no idea what anyone would "label" me and that's just fine with me.
    I don't think categorizing ourselves is helpful at all, because it may prevent us from being open to and exploring new ideas that might just work. And if you ever find that things aren't working with your chosen approach and you have to change things up, I think that's where feelings of guilt and failure come from - and we already have plenty of that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome Nancy! That's exactly what I did too! I've found that a bit of a "routine" is what really works for me and Hazel too, I'm not strict about it by any means but especially at the beginning it helped me not to freak out so much! Haha! It sounds to me like you are an awesome mom!

      Delete
  4. This sounds so much like a guest post I just wrote! I agree. Love and peace, baby. ;-) Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha how are you getting all of these guest post gigs! I think we are life twins

      Delete
  5. Couldn't have put it myself...as parents we need all the encouragement we can get. This parenting gig is hard enough without added judgement of other Mummies. Each to their own, whatever feels right...

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. I always respond but tend to reply to your comment rather than email. I hope you'll check back for my response!

UA-45077507-1